Use of Animals
The NCRC’s policy is to avoid the use of animals wherever possible. We may, however, support research using animals, provided:
- it is carried out in full compliance with the current EU legislation (Directive 2010/63/EU) for the protection of animals used for scientific purposes as implemented in Ireland by the Health Products Regulatory Authority;
- it has been approved by the relevant research ethics committee;
- it has been fully and independently peer reviewed;
- the experimental design and its suitability to address the research question has been fully justified;
- due consideration has been given to the 3Rs – Replacement, Reduction and Refinement;
- no viable non-animal alternatives exist.
No animals are housed at the NCRC.