Clinical Trials Pharmacist
The NCRC’s Children’s Clinical Research Unit at The CHI at Crumlin supports clinical teams in the conduct of academic and commercial clinical research studies. In existence since 2010, the Unit has expanded in terms of the number of clinical trials and studies that it supports and is striving to ensure children have the opportunity to participate in and benefit from, research within the facility, the hospital and the wider research community. The Unit is now inviting applicants for the post of Clinical Trials Pharmacist.
|Title:||Clinical Trials Pharmacist|
|Location:||Children’s Clinical Research Unit, National Children’s Research Centre, Children's Health Ireland at Crumlin|
Key Duties and Responsibilities may include:
Maintains responsibility for clinical investigational drug trials:
- Reviews protocols for NCRC/CHI at Crumlin clinical investigational drug trials, as required.
- Liaises with principal investigators and/or trial coordinators/research assistants to establish pharmacy’s role, determine fee schedules and to implement dispensing, compounding and billing procedures.
- Communicates with, and trains staff anticipated to participate in any aspect of the clinical investigational drug trial.
- Maintains a pharmacy binder which contains a study summary, protocol, dispensing procedures, completed samples of required paperwork, dispensing checklist, fee schedule, billing procedures and any other relevant materials for each investigational trial.
- Maintains and coordinates distribution of an up-to-date clinical investigational drug trials list, as scheduled.
- Maintains responsibility for the management of the inventory for clinical investigational drug trials; orders, replaces and returns study materials, as required.
- Communicates any concerns regarding ethical issues or deviation from established NCRC/CHI at Crumlin policies & procedures to the Chief Pharmacist CHI at Crumlin , Clinical Research Project Manager or Hospital Ethics Committee.
Performs education responsibilities
- Maintains professional development
- Orientates staff to pharmacy’s role with respect to clinical investigational drug trials including development of relevant standard operating procedures.
- Promotes professional development of staff; participates as an active member on committees; attends and/or presents at educational rounds, journal club, etc.
- Participates in the orientation and training of new employees and pharmacy interns, as required.
- Provides drug information to doctors, nurses and other health care professionals, as related to clinical investigational trial drugs.
Provides accurate and efficient dispensing of medication:
- Monitors pharmacy activities, on a daily basis, to ensure adherence to study protocols and dispensing procedures.
Performs administrative responsibilities:
- Attends and contributes to interdisciplinary team meetings relating to clinical investigational drug trials.
- Monitors pharmacy activities, on a daily basis, to ensure adherence to proper inventory record maintenance and timely and accurate billing as required to support the clinical investigational drug trials
- Participates in the development of software programs designed to facilitate management of clinical investigational drug trials.
- Collects and documents workload measurement statistics; provides other data, as required.
- Completes reports including incident reports, adverse drug reaction reports, etc.
Provides direct and/or functional supervision
- Maintains overall responsibility for pharmacy operations in assigned area.
- Supervises and provides direction to technical/support staff.
- Delegates work assignments and checks work orders filled by technicians.
- Monitors and assures security of CT controlled drugs and controlled drugs in accordance with hospital policy.
- Provides input into performance appraisals of support staff.
- Provides technical and procedural guidance.
Performs communication responsibilities:
- Facilitates rapport between the Department of Pharmacy, NCRC, principal investigators, clinical trial coordinators, research assistants and trial sponsors.
- Consults with other pharmacy personnel, to obtain information/expertise in support of the investigational drug trials, as required.
- Effectively communicates with colleagues, and allied health professionals.
- Liaises with external agencies/organizations, as required.
- Contributes information about clinical investigational drug trials to the pharmacy newsletter.
Performs cross-functional duties including those of patient care, as required.
Performs other duties consistent with the job classification, as required. Perform such other duties appropriate to the post as may be assigned from time to time by the line manager or a nominee
These duties and responsibilities are a reflection of the present service requirements and may be subject to review and amendment to meet the changing needs of the service.
- Registered Pharmacist with the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland, or be entitled to be registered
- At least three years’ post qualification experience
- Prior experience of working in a hospital setting, preferably in paediatrics or in haematology/oncology, is desirable.